WHO WE ARE
The Protecting Immigrant Families (“PIF”) campaign, is made up of hundreds of diverse organizations. The campaign’s structure has allowed us to develop innovative advocacy strategies, distribute educational resources, and keep allies informed of all the current and potential policies that impact immigrant families. We created multiple ways for organizations to participate in this advocacy with options for those with limited capacity and those with more resources.
WHAT WE DO
In 2018, the campaign generated popular opposition to the Trump Administration’s public charge proposal. Our goal was to generate 100,000 public comments. By the end of the public comment period, more than 266,000 people and organizations submitted comments – the overwhelming majority of which opposed this proposal. This was only possible through our diverse coalition of partners and hard working advocates from all over the country engaging in unique ways with their communities. Here are a few examples of the work that contributed to the PIF campaign success:
- Public Education & Community Outreach – PIF partners lifted up immigrant voices and organized protests, developed community education materials, and organized community members to fight back and share their stories.
- Partnering with Diverse Coalitions – PIF partners empowered communities through story advocacy, brought in new diverse partners and community leaders, reached across the aisle, and engaged grassroots community organizers.
- Working with Service Providers on Public Charge – PIF partners trained advocates, providers and community members, developed screening tools and educated enrollment workers, held webinars, and engaged community leaders to speak with state health organizations.
- Working with Federal & State Public Officials – PIF partners participated in OMB meetings and legislative working groups, encouraged elected officials to speak up, and helped pass county resolutions and engaged state agencies.
- News Coverage and Social Media – PIF partners elevated the profile of the threat and leveraged social media, engaged different types of media, and served as a resource and advisory role for media outlets.
We encourage groups from all over the country to join our campaign. Since 2018, over 500 different organizations have joined – we have groups from the local, state, and national level and from Maine all the way to Hawaii. Learn more about how to Get Involved.
WORK WITH US
Coalition Director: This is an exciting opportunity to shape PIF’s role in building a diverse intersection of collaborative partners to advance access to public benefits for immigrants as the coalition moves away from the primarily defensive stance that characterized its origins, while building on the collaborative relationships that have been developed. The PIF Director will be responsible for overseeing and developing the network’s efforts at the local, state, and national level to guide community outreach and education on recent changes to public charge, implement a media and marketing strategy, and direct nationwide policy and narrative campaigns. The Director will oversee the work of PIF’s talented team of staff and consultants, while leveraging the contributions of PIF’s member organizations through working groups. Find more information and apply here.