This page includes additional resources created by the PIF campaign and our allies. These resources have been reviewed and vetted by PIF staff. As you develop your own materials to meet your community’s needs, we encourage you to take inspiration from these great examples.
Created by our partners with PIF California, we encourage you to share this helpful screening tool with immigrant communities. This tool was developed by benefits experts and immigration lawyers to help communities understand if there is a public charge test for their immigration plans or status.
- Go to keepyourbenefitsCA.org (English)
- Go to TusBeneficiosPublicos.org (Spanish).
- You can also access by text at 650-376-8006.
- Text ‘benefits’ for English
- Text ‘libre’ for Spanish
- Text ‘福利’ for Chinese
- Text ‘lợiích’ for Vietnamese
- Five things immigrants need to know about public charge (Spanish) – NC Justice Center
Resources by Program
- SNAP and Nutrition Programs
- Medicaid, ACA, and Health Services
- Early Childhood Programs
Immigration Status-Specific Resources
- 5 Facts on Public Charge – Immigrant Legal Resource Center. Information for green card holders, undocumented immigrants and people applying to sponsor a family member.
Resources for Working with State/Local Agencies
- Navigating Public Charge Best Practices in Community Based Organizations to Mitigate Harm for the Immigrant Community (See also, Executive Summary).
- PIF State Policy Toolkit – recommends action for state and local government officials seeking to minimize harms of the public charge rule. Materials in this toolkit can be modified to fit your needs.
- An Open Letter to Immigrant New Yorkers – The New York City Mayor’s Office and NYC Health + Hospitals
- Sample State Agency memos on public charge
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Stakeholder Letter
- Washington State Department of Social Health Services FAQs and Flyer
- State of Oregon FAQs
- New York State of Health FAQ to Assistors
- Minnesota Agencies FAQ on Understanding the Federal “Public Charge Rule”
- California Department of Education Guidance on Public Charge
- Newsclips as Advocacy Resource – Sharing news coverage of public charge can educate people about the threat, demonstrate the breadth and energy of the opposition, and inspire action.
Outreach & Education Resources
- Public Charge Legal Services Toolkit (ILRC)
- The Public Charge Dictionary – Need help understanding immigrant eligibility for public benefits programs? Getting a little lost in the terminology? This dictionary includes the most commonly used terms that you need to know to be a more empowered advocate to help immigrants.
- Public Charge Webinar for Immigration Attorneys (Slides) – Public Charge: DHS, DOS, FAM and Related Issues. Presented by the PIF Campaign in collaboration with AILA, MLRI, and ILRC
Additional Public Charge Resource Pages
- PIF California
- PIF Michigan
- PIF Oregon
- PIF Washington
- The Wisconsin Collaboration on Immigrants and Public Benefits
- Center for Public Representation
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- National Housing Law Project
- New York Immigration Coalition
- OneNation AAPI
- The Children’s Partnership